It is the mission of Walnut Hills Community Elementary School (WHCES) to provide its students with a learning environment wherein all children can feel confident as learners and contributors. Walnut Hills Community Elementary School is committed to educating the head, heart, and hand of each child by providing a safe, respectful, and inclusive environment.
Walnut Hills is a school that expects academic excellence for all children. We envision a school in which staff:
- Honors students' learning styles
- Integrates the arts
- Incorporates the eight multiple intelligences: linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, musical-rhythmic, bodily-kinesthetic, interpersonal, naturalist, and intrapersonal.
- Provides added opportunities to enhance the core curriculum
In order to achieve the vision of Walnut Hills, our staff has made the following commitments:
- We will teach to the eight multiple intelligences within our units of study.
- We will provide students with Plus Time enrichment classes twice a year.
- We will be models of life-long learning and commitment to high-quality work that we hope to develop in our students.
- We will teach for understanding and will provide a variety of opportunities for students to demonstrate mastery.
- We are committed to leave no child behind.
- We will use assessment date and Colorado standards to guide our instruction and decision-making.
- Students will experience a wide variety of enrichment opportunities.
- Students will be active members of our caring community.
- Students will know and be able to maximize their learning styles.
- Students will make yearly adequate progress in all subject areas.
Educating the Head
Walnut Hills expects academic excellence for all children. We achieve this by teaching a rigorous core curriculum. Each grade level has clearly defined expectations that meet or exceed the state standards. Teachers acknowledge that students learn in a variety of ways. We are committed to teaching our core instruction. We believe that students have multiple intelligences that can be nurtured over time. Teaching to the intelligences addresses every learning style and modality.
Educating the Heart
Walnut Hills has a safe, respectful, and inclusive environment. All of the students participate in a Bully Proofing program that discusses the importance of social problem solving, the need for a caring community, and the recognition of the efforts made by all. Walnut Hills is a Positive Behavior School (PBS). The students are expected to be respectful, inclusive, and safe in all environments (R.I.S.E.). Walnut Hills is a place where teachers can teach and kids can learn.
Educating the Hand
When children study the arts, significant elements of their education find focus and expression. Walnut Hills believes in the importance of the arts in a school. The integrity of each arts class (art, media, music, movement, and technology) is maintained while integrating content from the core curriculum. In addition to the core arts classes, Walnut Hills offers Plus Time classes, as well. Plus Time is an opportunity for students to be captivated by exciting, energizing classes which purposefully integrate the arts with the core curriculum. Students choose areas in which they would like to participate. Classes are offered twice a year.
We believe that students have multiple intelligences that can be nurtured over time. Teaching to the intelligences addresses every learning style and modality.
Eight Multiple Intelligences